Most snow-related building losses typically occur at stepped elevations where blowing snow is carried from an upper roof down to a lower roof.
- Heavy and repeated snowstorms can create packed snow and ice conditions resulting in unusual and excessive snow loads of 50 p.s.f. or greater.
- Blowing and drifting snow can add to these loads
- Rain-on-snow can cause significant load increases
- These loads can be in excess of the design capacity of the building and can cause damage, collapse, or at worst, business interruption, injury and death.
The longer snow sits on your roof, the heavier it tends to get. Why?
What To Do
- Activate a snow watch and removal crew to monitor snow depths.
- Remove excessive snow/ice accumulation with snow rakes and a snow melt system.
- Keep drains and gutters clear of ice and snow to facilitate melting run-off. Ice build-up can cause excessive loads without great depths.
- Install heat tape in gutters and downspouts to eliminate ice build-up.
- Contact a professional who is equipped to deal with this type of situation.
- In many cases, the shoring of purlins or structural members is the most effective solution.
- If shoring is not feasible or possible, removing the snow or ice buildup may be sufficient.
- Large industrial heaters inside the building may also assist in melting rooftop snow and ice.
- The best method for dealing with a problem of this magnitude is prevention.
If you have questions about snow and ice loads, feel free to give J.A. Wagner Construction a call at 574-295-3761 or email Andrew Harman at Andrew@jawagner.com. We are happy to help you deal with Mother Nature and all she has to throw at us this winter.
About J.A. Wagner Construction
J.A. Wagner is an award-winning design-build contractor and Butler Builder®. Our work can be found throughout the United States. Projects in Indiana, Ohio, Michigan, Kentucky, Tennessee, Florida, Utah and Texas illustrate the confidence clients have placed in us to construct their facilities.
Cost-effectiveness and ease to work with are primary reasons clients have chosen J.A. Wagner for their projects over the services of local builders in these regions.